A Lesser Mortal: Rebirth

for what it's worth

April 16, 2004

I hate labelling days... as good or bad... but when thyngs don't go my way, I just can't help but feel a bit sorry for myself. (Pulse globalled: sulk, brood, whine) (Pulse global are perhaps the only legal film distributors in Pakistan – their movies are censored, and have urdu subtitles) so for the sake of being diplomatic and not coming across as difficult, yesterday was a 'weird' day. A lot of what could go wrong did go wrong... (but still it was all as wrong as it could've been -- tomorrow will always be worse remember?) So last night, I challenged thys friend at work, saying I could beat him on any track in NFS 2. Being a guy, he just wouldn't accept that. We began a 4 lap round. Three laps I'm ahead of him, he cant seem to cross my car, we are going like neck to neck, and then 4 seconds b4 I hit the finish line, he moves my hand from the acceleration key... my car swerves, hits the side, does 5 flips... and he wins. Plus I get thrown out of the newsroom for shrieking (very loudly). what luck. Remember I once spoke about having problems w/ my immediate editor, and how happy I was when he was leaving? (I'm not going back to the archives, so take my word for it). Well apparently, his 'resignation' actually never reached the relevant authorities. He threw his hands up and walked out on us mid week (and when something like that happens in a newspaper, trust me it spells trouble). So me and thys other guy, we take charge of things, put it all back together, and guess what ...? Three weeks later, he is back in his chair. Now as thys happens to be a family blog, approved for general public (over the age of 13) by the American board of censorship, I shall content myself by saying, "It's not fair." Those over 23 please pepper that with colourful expletives. Anyways, so massive arguments ensued with my EinC... and the gist of the matter is, as of yesterday, I have been appointed as Officer on Special Duty. Now with those who have a general understanding of the Pakistani system, they would know what and OSD is. For those who want it pulse globalled, it would imply that "I'm playing the field". (That's the most tactful way of saying I've been 'displaced') I'm no longer on the same desk as the jerk, which is a good thyng, but it would have been better had he been thrown off. (King Of Wishful Thinking plays in the back)... But that would happen in another life, another world. Until then I shall have to swallow the fact that his daddy owns the paper. The EinC's version is that he cant put us together as "it's a waste of resource/potential". (and it took you three months to figure that?) It's just so not fair. I'm a better manager, organizer, administrator than him, I've put together more things in the paper than he could ever imagine, I've done more layouts, more designing, and much as I hate to admit it, I'm better at that 'people-to-people' stuff. On the other hand, he has 7 years of journalism, 6 months of WSJ and and four years of Columbia and Amherst behind him. And he doesn't blog. I lose.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home