A Lesser Mortal: Rebirth

for what it's worth

November 06, 2004

bomb's away

my mom called me wednesday night to tell me there'd been 8 shots fired outside our house and there had been some sort of an undercover operation and blah blah blah... so i was like... yeah cool man, i always miss the excitement. my brother called me later on in the night to tell me details. and they dont seem that exciting anymore. apparently, the story went somethyng lyk thys ... policemen in plain clothes were seen chasing two guys, and when one almost got away, they fired 8 rounds at him, he was hit with two, captured, put in an unmarked vehicle, and taken away. they recovered 13 grenades, 6 rocket-launchers and small handy kinda firearms (an AK-47 included). and they were planning to plant them in the mosque near our place, to get ready either for the 'juma prayers' or the tarawiehs on the 21st ramadan... (which was yesterday). and the plan thys tym was to not just bomb the mosque, but create havoc on a greater scale and bring down the houses next to it. bring down my house. let me tell you a bit abt where i live. it's a pretty secluded area right in the middle of lahore. the houses are owned by the government, and you have to be at a certain position to be eligible for one. my mom's in govt. service, and we've been living her for around 8 years now. G.O.R (government officers' residence) hosts the powerhouses of bureaucracy... decision makers, movers and shakers, and all that jazz. imagine thys small community, two to three hundred houses in all, sealed by walls and 7 gates -- only two of which are open. all of the gates are guarded 24/7. for the most part, until today, ive never felt insecure living here. i can walk out of my house at three in the morning, alone, and i know there isnt anythyng to fear. i never thought there was anythyng to fear in my city either... but im having to rethynk my beliefs. the people captured include the brother-in-law of the masjid's imam, a khokay wala (small-tym vendor) who sells cigarettes and pan right outside one of the gates, and thys third guy who is also associated with the management of GOR. and knowing all that happened right outside my door (literally), that too when i hadnt been home for 5 days, it doesnt make me too happy. guess who all was involved. ISI, IB, FIA and the elite force. actually, the IB werent involved, which was why they were forth coming with the information the FIA and official government sources were denying. this story goes on, but im not going there. where i am going with this is... how were these ppl able to get inside here with so much ammo? and how were they caught? what's the guarantee it wont happen again? and that if it does, the agencies will be as successful? what if god forbid somethyng had happened? while i was away at college working to get a piece of paper? dudes, i thought i knew stress, and i knew fear. im not too sure anymore. i had finally gotten over weighing my family over my education... and decided i could give another two years to a degree. im back at square one today, and walking backwards. for the first tym in my life have i really understood what living in a country ridden with terrorists is all about. ------------------------------------------- and in today's news: lahore police attacked outside mosque as asar prayers end

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home