A Lesser Mortal: Rebirth

for what it's worth

May 08, 2005

accidently in love

the first i ever heard about blogging (as anythyng serious or to be pursued) was on BBC, when i came across stories about salam pax, that (in)famous iraqi blogger, (who now probably has his own Dr. Phil show... after getting book deals and hollywood movie thyngies). im not sure how (and i thynk thys is where fate twisted my arm a bit), i clicked and clicked and clicked summore, and landed at aniraz's blog. "de grouchy owl" has an inviting ring to it, no? anyways, i found me there, and i was hooked. i thynk thys was around september, 2003. it seems years ago. there on in, i was a blurker... a silent admirer of wit and sarcasm, unleashed on the internet... although, as a pakistani, i always felt the assaults were aimed directly at me, since i'm a hardcore pakistani *blush* the kind you let you dog loose after... and i blurked, and i blurked... until i discovered she wasnt a lone ranger... she had a whole family spewing online-brilliance. that's how i was introduced to abez (suffering from MBD - multiple brain disorder... and her left-brain, right-brain conversations (nov.21, 2003)... and then their was their mom... who blogged too. which was way cool... see. my mom gets me to chk her email... which i do every three months, once her account has been shut down, erasing all correspondence :D and so i can tell her there was no mail for her. finally, when owl put up her January 7, 2004 post, i felt the non-internet-literate community had been deprived long enough, and i wrote to her asking if she'd be interested in getting her work published. little did i know, she had been writing for the best (read elitist) paper in pakistan already :) that's how we started corresponding, and well... in the last year and a half, ive made more trips to islamabad than i have in the last 15 years :) their family mashallah so rox :) april/may last year was my first trip to islamabad, when i met up with these guys. there was talk of my getting a phd scholarship to france, and i had to go to isb for an interview. the funny thyng was, i had arranged to stay at a friend's house, who was supposed to drop me at the venue, pick me up later on, and drop me to the daewoo stop, so i could return home. incidently, the gentleman very conveniently vanished from the picture... and i was stranded in islamabad. and i had just seen an oprah show, where they were talking about lil girls being kidnapped ... man it was scary. incidently, bezzy called, i expressed my fears... and whaddya know... man, the woman was there, right beside me, towing me around the capital city. when she dropped me home, i said, dude, you go on home, im sure my ride will come... she said,"no worries, i'll wait." and she did, and the ride DIDNT come... and my white knight saved me from being away from home for another day... there are kindnesses and then there are bez and owl. and then there are no words to thank them for being who they are. and here's a lil somethyng that was on aniraz's layout, the first time i saw it: As a rule Man is fool When it’s hot He wants it cool When it’s cool He wants is hot Always wanting What is not. *clicks heels* *salutes smartly* guys, im going to miss you loads. it's amazing how much impact some ppl can have on your life, regardless of the time you've spent with them. aniraz, im glad i wrote to you, the first time i did :) although believe me, i was apprehensive. i didnt know then, that world-famous celebrity bloggers could be as much fun as you guys... (and humble, while they were at it). i gots to have loads of funs with you guys... and i found people who restored my faith in humanity. and believe you me, i needed that. im going to sorely miss you all.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home